Our policy areas are informed by our mission and our principles. These policy areas are:
- Economic Development and Fiscal Stability for Cities
- Local Self-Governance and the Right to Home Rule
- Public Safety and Effective Policing Practices
- Affordable, Accessible, and Quality Housing
- Water, Transportation, and Digital Infrastructure
- Education, Civic Learning, and Workforce Development
- Public Health and Addiction Prevention
- Sustainable and Climate Resilient Cities
2023 Legislative Priorities
- Establish a State and Local Government Commission. This bipartisan commission would be comprised of state and local leaders and serve as an important vehicle to promote collaboration and address ongoing challenges such as home rule and revenue sharing.
- Improve Public Safety and Reduce Gun Violence. This includes dedicated state funding for police officer training, creation of a statewide law enforcement certification and licensing program, establishing an extreme risk protection order, enhancing Ohio’s gun purchasing background check system, implementing a statewide safe storage law, and reinstate the duty to notify provision and restore local control on certain gun safety measures.
- Monitor and Address Potential Fiscal Impacts of Remote Working. The advent of remote working could significantly impact municipal income tax revenues. State and local leaders must work together to monitor these trends and address potential long-term revenue losses to cities.
- Enhance state and local revenue sharing and targeted grant funding. The Local Government Fund (LGF) is an important revenue source for local governments across Ohio and it is critical for the fund to be sustained and significantly enhanced. Additionally, targeted grant programs for shared priorities such as public safety have been in high demand and should continue with the suballocation of state and federal resources.
- Promote Bipartisanship, Civic Learning, and Public Service. As a bipartisan coalition, we will be working to emphasize the importance of bipartisan cooperation and encouraging state leaders to work across the aisle. We are also working at the local level to forge potential partnerships between our cities and school districts to promote civic learning and public service opportunities.