2023 Mayors Recommendation Report
December 13, 2022
Policy Recommendations for 2023 from the Ohio Mayors Alliance to Members of the Ohio General Assembly and Ohio’s Statewide Executive Officeholders
Dear State Leaders:
As a bipartisan coalition of mayors in Ohio’s largest cities, we are pleased to present the following set of policy recommendations that will support our cities, enhance the important partnership between state and local governments, and strengthen public safety and Ohio’s overall economic success.
In 2016, we formed a new organization of mayors in Ohio’s largest cities and suburbs called the Ohio Mayors Alliance. We came together to speak with one voice about the issues that impact our communities and our constituents.
As mayors, we know the important role that cities play in creating jobs and building vibrant communities. We also know that investments in local communities will benefit the state overall and support our statewide economic success. We hope our state leaders in 2023 embrace this collaborative spirit and share our view that strong cities make a stronger Ohio.
As we look ahead to 2023, we believe there continues to be great potential for improved collaboration between state and local leaders. We also believe that now, more than ever, we must bridge our political divisions and work together to promote bipartisan cooperation and get things done for Ohioans.
As we look ahead to next year and beyond, we intend to work with state leaders on the following Mayors Recommendations for 2023:
- Establish a formalized commission to improve collaboration between state and local governments and to address issues of home rule, revenue sharing, and other issues of common interest
- Support public safety and enact reasonable state law changes to reduce gun violence and keep our communities safe
- Work with cities to monitor the impacts of remote working on municipal tax revenue and study options to help address potential long-term revenue losses
- Enhance revenue sharing and targeted grant funding to local governments to support areas of common interest such as public safety, infrastructure, and economic development
- Promote bipartisanship, civic learning, and public service opportunities between the state, local communities, and school districts
We hope you will take a moment to review these recommendations in more detail. We look forward to working together in the new year to strengthen our cities and enhance Ohio’s overall prosperity.
Ohio Mayors Alliance Board of Directors